Sunday, September 11, 2005

Done With "The Zahir"

Wow. Although not as compelling as “The Alchemist", Paul Coelho’s new book “The Zahir”was thought- provoking, similar to “Eleven Minutes”, written by the same author. After reading its final page last night, I sat still on the couch, mulling over questions provoked by Coelho’s thoughts.

Thoughts about love, marriage, rules, taboos, happiness and life. I sat there and reviewed my life, my past personal history and how much of it was spent conforming to other people’s rules and standards. How I should love. Who I should love. How I should be loved. How long I should love. That marriage should be according to whatever our own religions taught us.

I wanna write more about the book and the stuff it made me think about, the feelings it stirred in me and the new learnings it brought to my heart. But I shall not do so. I know I have a few friends who might wanna read it too and I don’t wanna spoil it for them.

All I can say is that after reading the book, I decided that I shall let no one dictate me of how and who I should love, ignore the pressure of social norms and let go of my personal history for me to enjoy life today. I shall go and do things not because I read them in some stupid “Things To Do Before You Turn 30” kind of books but because I made my own list.

And when I grow old, I will be happy for I charted my own course and drew my own map.

And so my epitaph shall say:
Here lies a woman who lived and died without regrets…

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! I really think that you are in the right way.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Waves said...

Gracias. :) I think I am...

8:10 PM  
Blogger Smashed said...

Reminds me of Robert Redford's line in Out of Africa: "I don't want to get to the end of my life and find out I've lived somebody else's."

(Or something like that).

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home